Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Praying for an earthquake

The past two weeks in our Sunday morning Bible study emphasized having confidence in God through tough times. I agree and teach that we will be supplied with strength through dangerous times, but when I look at my life I don't have dangerous times. Paul and Silas were beaten . . . BEATEN WITH RODS ON THEIR BODIES AND FACE. They were thrown in jail . . . in a cold, dark place with hard floors. So, Paul and Silas sang . . . How Great Thou Art, A Mighty Fortress is Our God, well, songs of joy.
How does that translate today? When your teacher gives you a lower grade than you expected - sing. When the bills are more than the paycheck - sing. When you're diagnosed with cancer - sing. When you feel like Jeremiah in the days of Billy Graham - sing.
My days aren't harsh like Paul's, but oh, the moans I want groan. Let's sing, and let's sing joyfully. We know that we can . . . WE ARE BLESSED to count it all joy when we encounter trials and tribulations for we know that the testing of our faith produces perseverance. And let this perseverance have its full effect, that we may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4
The best part about suffering is the earthquake that comes at the end. Paul and Silas saw the jailor and his whole family put their faith in Christ.
Where's my earthquake? Who's the jailor I get to lead out of darkness and into light?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Mike King!