Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Homesick

When I moved to Kentucky 5 years & 3 months ago, I did not know one single person. I left the great state of Texas to start graduate school, and heaven only knows how or why I landed in Louisville, Kentucky. I've grown to despise, detest, and utterly loathe my graduate school and everything its philosophical foundations stand for, or rather I loathe the fact that this graduate program doesn't stand for anything other than standing for everything. However, as usual God knew exactly what he was doing when I was rejected from Baylor's Psy.D. program and accepted here in Kentucky. God had my sweet, awesome, hottie man of my dreams waiting for me here in Kentucky. Well, I don't think he was actually waiting for me 5 years ago, but I'm quite certain his heart was longing for me! I met a 4 wonderful friends my first few years in Kentucky, but I did not every really feel at home in Louisville until I met my John Mark.



John Mark & I celebrated our 2 year anniversary last week, and words cannot express how grateful I am for my husband. He's incredible, and his love for me is a wonderful testimony of Jesus' love for his church. My husband put his career goals and probably many opportunities to be in the ministry on hold to wait for me as I finished my doctorate. My husband worked 60 hours a week for several months at several tedious jobs so that I could finish my doctorate. My husband cleaned floors, coffee machines, and bathrooms; he cut down trees, picked up leaves, and ground stumps and sticks....all so that we could move to Chicago, and I could complete my internship/residency.



We moved John Mark to Chicago this weekend, and he is in Chicago, and I am in Louisville for 3 very long weeks. Again, he's graciously and humbling placing his career on hold so that I can finish school and start my career. While we have 2 great friends about 45 minutes away from John Mark in Chicago, he is by himself, and as many of you know this week & the past few months have had plenty of ups & downs within our immediate families. I was only in our place in Chicago for a few days this weekend, but I'm terribly homesick & miss my husband dearly. I do, however, pray & trust God will provide during this seemingly bleak time. Miss you baby...

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Sweet Karen! I can only imagine how difficult it will be for you to be away from John Mark the next few weeks. I want you to know we are here for you, and I would totally love to hang out whenver you're available. What's your schedule look like??

Plus, you're supposedly running that 5K "with" us, so we have that to look forward to.

I'm excited you'll be in town this weekend so I can see you at church. :)

Kim said...

Hi there - my name is Kim - I am a friend of the Barretts and I met you in the hospital when little Emma was born! I am moving to Chicago on Monday, and from what Ashley told me, I will be living close to you guys. I would love to meet up sometime and have a friendly face from Louisville to see! :) Please feel free to email me or something. Hope the transition is going smoothly!