Thursday, February 19, 2009

250

My life has taken an unexpected turn as of last week. I'm slowly realizing the surprises of aging. While I'm not "old" my body isn't the same as it once was. Balding showed it's ugly head a few years ago. Stretching is an absolute must before and after working out or my body screams relentlessly at me. Now the biggest mark of my body age's came from my doctor. For our adoption Karen and I had to get a physical (No, I'm not that old, yet). We have to get various tests documented for our home study. Karen called to inform me of bad news related to my medical report. The first thing I thought of were potential problems this could cause for our adoption, but I noticed in Karen's voice a subtle jubilation. She's smiling while about to tell me bad news.
Karen had hoped this news would come two and a half years earlier. She had been strongly encouraging me to get my cholesterol checked since we were married. Before we moved to Chicago, I did get checked so that I might calm her fears and worries stemming from my family history and my poor eating habits. To her surprise and disappointment, I was in great shape with a level of 182. Her response, "you're joking me?"
Her good news and my bad news was finally here - 250. The shock didn't set in until Karen and I had lunch after our doctor's appointment. We're in line at Subway and I have to figure out what kind of sauce I can get on my sandwich - definitely no chipotle sauce. As I stood there, I looked at all the people around me in disgust secretly judging my health against theirs. Alas, it doesn't matter one slice of butter if I could out run the three obnoxious women in front of me or lateral toss the tattooed and pieced twenty-somethings sitting to my left. All that mattered was the end of the line. When I stepped down to the end of the line, I declared mustard.
This decision was the first of many decisions I am now making. I can't answer what's going to happen when friends and family come to visit and want to eat the forbidden buffet at Moonlight. I don't know what every meal is going to look like, but I'm well on my way to being a healthy father and husband. There is one goal in focus - loving my family. I can't stop aging, but I can age wisely on matters within my control. I'll say good-bye to butter and welcome leafy greens. May I never eat butter again so that I might love my children and my wife, and may God grant me a long life with which to love them.

3 comments:

manizor said...

"i'll say good bye to butter..."
"may I never eat butter again..."

is this hyperbole?! i'm glad you are growing more conscious about this particular area of your life, but are you really seriously saying goodbye to butter? wow....i am speechless....

by the way, i can just hear Karen's subtle jubilation all the way from here!! :)

Jenny said...

David is having to make those decisions as well. He hit 290!!! I hope it goes well. It isn't much fun to eat healthy, is it??

Jen Born said...

Dan Born steadfastly refuses to get his cholesterol checked precisely for this reason. . .perhaps I draft you and Karen for the intervention. Just kidding!