Friday, February 22, 2008

Avant What?


On Monday afternoon I took advantage of a sunny day in the punishing Chicago winter and made my way to the Art Institute of Chicago to take advantage of their Free February days. I enjoyed my brush with art walking through various exhibits such as American, Modern, Contemporary, European of various years, and Impressionism.
As I looked at various pieces reflecting on the work, the historical period of the time of composition, and the overall meaning, I was sure of myself as cultured.
Then I came to Sunday on la Grande Jatte. When I looked at the painting, I didn't think about the strokes, the lighting, themes, or any type meaning. Rather what came to my mind was, "hey, I've seen this before, almost like I've been in this exact spot before. It was in that movie . . . oh yeah, Ferris Beullar's Day Off."
I laughed out loud, then left.

No comments: