Sunday, May 04, 2008

Running the Race

In December I suggested to my parents that they run the Derby half-marathon in Louisville, Kentucky. To my surprise, the suggestion was met with a slight optimism rather than an immediate dismissal. Little more was said after this initial conversation. Then my father, who is the editor of the Times Leader newspaper, committed to the race IN PRINT. Just so you understand, he not only committed himself but also committed his wife to the race. When I brought up the race as a possibility, he didn't say yes or no, simply nodded his head in contemplation. The next thing my mother reads in his editorial is that THEY are going to run 13.1 miles. I can't tell you how interesting it was to hear the conversation between mom and dad after the paper was out. Dad just laughed and laughed.

Needless to say, what seemed like a whimsical decision was the beginning of tenacious training. Up to this point in their middle ages, mom has always been a speed walker, and dad was a golfer. However, they began training and never looked back despite cold weather, physical pain, and old age. Mom and Dad were determined to finish the race. Mom even said the only way she was stopping for dad is if he dropped dead with a heart attack.

Race day came and everyone was confident, plus nervous, cold, as well as extreme confusion as to why in the world they were about to run 13.1 miles. Originally, I had planned to run the full marathon, but decided instead to run the half so I could see mom and dad finish their first half-marathon. I can't tell you how excited and joyful I was to see them turning the final corner at 7th and Market. Mom came to the finished in 2:38. I ran with mom during the last 100 yards or so of her race. I yelled encouragements to her that she had finished! She said, "I'm going to throw up when I cross the finish line." Although mom may have felt like throwing up, she crossed the finish line with no problems. Dad finished in 2:50. I was waiting for him in the same place and encouraged him in the same way telling him he had finished about 100 yards before the finish line. He was quick to say "I haven't finished yet." There was still enough stamina to carry him across the finish line.

The best thing about mom and dad running the half-marathon was listening to them tell others why they were running the race. Throughout their training and after the race, they continually said they did it because they love me and their daughter-in-law. Its true that Karen and I asked them to run with us. Throughout my life my parents told me how much they loved me and now into my adult life, they continue to tell Karen & I they love us and will do anything for us. I never imagined that would entail running 13.1 miles, but I'm sure they never did either.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hey JM! It's Jenny! Congrats on the race and kudos to your parents. I think I'd kill David if he signed me up for something like that without me knowing. Then again, there is something to be said about making a committment like that for all the public to see! Wish I could have been there. Hugs to you and Karen!!