Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Greatest Thanksgiving Movie

After the Thanksgiving festivities, Karen, Seth, the dog, and I travelled back to Louisville Saturday afternoon. When I say "Thanksgiving festivities," I truly mean we had great excitement and celebration like never before.

Our family began the tradition of watching movies on Thanksgiving over a decade ago. You can appreciate being thankful for ten plus people simply agreeing on one movie. That aspect of Thanksgiving is a gem in itself. Let me state for the record, in recent years we have been helped in the movie selection by Princeton's Capital Cinema. This historical theatre presents Princeton's entertainment seekers with not fifteen, twelve, or even ten, simply four movie selections.

Yes, we have had some poor picks through the years; The Mirror has Two Faces tops the list of all-time worst movies, not to mention the harrassment we still give our mother for this selection. Two years ago, my uncle, Hershael York, called a quick audible from Master and Commander starring Russell Crowe to The Missing featuring Cate Blanchet and Tommy Lee Jones. Let it be known that the only two who enjoyed the movie were my uncle and his wife Tanya - hmm. The rest of the family knew this was a close second to Barbara Streisand's two-faced mirror. Last year's movie can be summed up by my wife. At that time we weren't married but I had told my parents I met the woman I was going to marry. As we watched the previews, Karen laments with relief, "I'm glad we're not seeing that movie," but to her suprise, National Treasure was beginning.

Harry Potter was our film of the year, and I must say it was better than its predecessor and really the best yet to come. Although, the movie was not the highlight of the night. My sister Cindy and her husband Ivan stole the show with their humorous yet serious card passed first to our parents then to everyone else for their enjoyement and celebration. The punch line of the card read, "Seeing your mother's expression in a movie theatre - priceless." The card led the reader to believe Cindy was pregnant. Once my parents read the card, we heard mumbles of disbelieve and questions to Cindy for certainty. We read the card and all sat in Capital Cinema thinking about Cindy and Ivan's blessing. Mom and Dad's face were quite the sight as the reality of a grandchild soaked into their heart.

Priceless.

No comments: