Friday, May 26, 2006

Ironman Finishers


Two weeks ago my wife and I competed with 2300 other people in the Florida Half Ironman. The total mileage we tracked Sunday was 70.3. It all begins with swimming 1.2 miles, biking 56, then running 13.1. My wife has done two marathons before but this was her first ever triathlon, and what a triathlon it was! Seth, my cousin also posted his first triathlon in the Ironman. Nathan Hardeman a fellow youth minister now in Orlando, FL finished his second half Ironman with us.
I can't tell you what an accomplishment this race was unless you were there to feel the heat. It was a HOT day. Nonetheless everyone finished! Everyone survived!
You might read the mileage a half Ironman entails and think it's impossible. The key element to accomplishing this event is determination. Karen showed great determination and tough grit in the half. The temperature was sweltering that day, and we all came to drastic thoughts of not finishing once we were on the run course. The driving motivation that pushed us through the race was to finish. The bottom line is you either finish or you don't. At the end of the day, did you finish? I don't care how bad it hurts - I WILL FINISH.
I say all of that to encourage you to be on Team Hutcheson, and do the next race with us. We're still planning out our races for next year - join us now and get in on all of the excitement.

No comments: