Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Being Humbled

Ping pong is central to the youth ministry at Shively Heights. I like to think I'm good at ping pong. My learning began just a few years ago at Southern Seminary. Thank you Adrian, whereever you are. After that brief semester of ping pong, I acquired a decent foundation and thought myself a fair player. Now that the game has elevated to such high status of activity at church, I am a prominent player. I can go out with friends of my own age and dominate them. That's right Mitchell Scott - I dominate you at ping pong.
However, there is one teenager. That's right one teenager spoils my joy of competitive supremacy in all things. His name is Michael. He handedly won the Ping pong tournament at Shively Heights a few months ago defeating me in the finals with an easy three game sweep.
This Sunday was the first time we had played in over a month. I challenged him before Sunday school and took down him easily. Then we proceeded to our Sunday morning Bible study on unity from Philippians 2:1-11. The lesson was heard as well as this group of teens hears on a summer, Sunday morning, and were quiet during the group activities, and questions. They were hard pressed to give examples of how they could exhibit humbleness, patience, and gentleness to others. Very well.
We didn't play after Sunday school, but don't worry, I had this teenager in my scope. After church Sunday night, I told him he was going to be humbled and I was going to defeat him . . . easily. What serves there were! What slams there were! Oh, the unfathomable returns there were! Spinning, power, precision. Words can't explain the battles, FIVE TO BE PRECISE, waged in the Basement. The scores were tight 11-9 (three times!!!), 11-8, and once battling it out through deuce to win by two. Alas, I was winless, 0-5.
There is nothing more humbling than knowing as a 27 year old I cannot overcome a 17 year old in the simplest of games.

No comments: